Update: January 30, 2022 12:29 STI
Washington [US]Jan 30 (ANI): The United States Department of State will not continue its prestigious Fulbright foreign student program in Afghanistan for the 2022-23 academic year, a US broadcast network quoted an official as reporting.
According to ABC News, news of the program’s suspension reached applicants on Friday afternoon after months of delays in interviewing applicants.
“Due to significant barriers that impede our ability to provide a safe exchange experience, the selection process for the Fulbright Foreign Student Program in Afghanistan for the 2022-23 academic year will not progress,” said one. State Department official at ABC News.
“We recognize the considerable time and effort that the current candidates have invested and understand that this decision is a source of disappointment,” the official added.
While the program will continue for the more than 100 Fulbright students from Afghanistan who are already studying in the United States, the State Department did not provide details on their return to their home country, as the grant is designed for academics.
An email from the State Department to Group 2022 last month suggested they consider other evacuation routes and opportunities as it explores options to continue the program, “but we have not yet identified a safe and viable path,” he said. ABC News.
The Fulbright Program, administered by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, was created by Congress in 1946 to build international relations by providing both grants to American citizens to study or teach abroad and non-US citizens to study in the states, according to the television network. (ANI)